At 12:05 p.m. on July 2nd, Kennett, Longwood, Avondale, and Po-Mar-Lin fire companies were dispatched to a house fire on the corner of Union and Cypress streets. Minutes later, Kennett PD reported they were on scene with visible flames from the outside rear of the house as well as reports of entrapment (people trapped inside). The assignment was upgraded by responding officers, and a second alarm was immediately called.
Officers arrived on scene confirming the police's report. The fire appeared to have started in the kitchen in the first floor rear of the building. Smoke could be seen from the rear first and second floors as well as the front second floor. The first in engine crew was instructed to use an 1.75" hose line to enter the rear of the house, search for any victims, and extinguish the fire. The second engine crew arrived quickly after and assisted with the search. Crews reported back to command that there was no entrapment in the house, all occupants were out and safe. Further arriving crews were assigned to various tasks assisting in the fire ground operations. The fire was extinguished and ventilation efforts began.
Captain 24 Mark Plumley and his crew rescued 1 dog and 1 cat from the building. The animals were taken and transferred to EMS where oxygen treatment was administered. Local animal care Longwood Veterinary Center was notified via cell phone of the incident and accepted the emergency patients. The pets were transported by a neighbor to the facility.
The fire did not spread to the neighboring house nor the connected business.
Fire Marshal's deemed the fire accidental and electrical in nature.
Pictures submitted by Tom Amico, Travis Tome, and Tyler Bell